- "This is the way Anzio fight!"
Anzio Girls High School (アンツィオ高校) is one of the schools in Girls und Panzer. The school operates Italian World War Two tanks, including several Carri Veloci CV.33, some Semoventi da 75/18, M13/40s and a single Carro Armato P40.
Anzio is a school located in Tochigi, Japan; a relatively small school compared to the other main tanking academies. In the sixth OVA, it is revealed that Anzio is quite poor, as all they can give to Ooarai as a victory gift is canned anchovies that were bought on sale; this was confirmed in the Anzio OVA, where It was revealed that, to balance their poverty, most Anzio girls have food selling booths, and it is said explicitly that to buy a Carro Armato P40, they had to economize for a while.
It is notable that Anzio is a private institute, founded by an Italian to promote Italian culture in Japan. This is in contrast to the majority of the other schools, although some may be in a similar situation (as seems the case with Maginot).
It was the second opponent of Ooarai Girls High School during the National Sensha-dō Tournament; it is inferred from on-screen information that in the first round it defeated, with some difficulty, Maginot Girls' Academy.
Given that the bulk of its forces is made up of either tankettes and/or weak M13/40s, supported by just a handful of tanks armed with 75 mm guns, Anzio tends to rely on baiting and ambush tactics, trying to capitalize on its tankettes' mobility to throw the opponent off-guard and strike its flag tank with the heavier vehicles.
In the anime
The match between Anzio and Ooarai is largely skipped in the anime adaptation, except for the last moments of it, including a shot of Anchovy collapsing on her defeated tank. Therefore, it is assumed that the battle was an easy victory for Ooarai.
In the manga
In the manga, the match is completely shown at the expense of the one against Saunders; it is also shown as a much more hard-fought battle than the one suggested by the anime.
Anchovy proves that she is a competent leader by sending a vanguard made up by the L3/33 and some Fiat M13/40 to slow Ooarai down, thus allowing her main force to occupy the vantage place of the central ridge on the battlefield. When the Ooarai tanks reach the ridge, Anzio springs the ambush, managing to knock down Team Rabbit with Anchovy's own Carro Armato P40, and pinning Ooarai down, although not without losses. To break the stalemate, Miho has Team Anglerfish and Team Turtle flank the enemy, a tactic that requires the rest of the Ooarai tanks to hold their ground, which they manage to do, albeit barely (in fact, Anzio's fire manages to knock out Team Duck and even to de-track and jam the turret of the Renault Char B1 Bis). Just when the remaining Anzio tanks prepare to target Team Hippo (Ooarai's flag tank), Team Anglerfish and Team Turtle appear on their rear and take out all of them.
In the OVA
Before the match, it is revealed that Anzio has obtained, through economies and sacrifices, a 'secret weapon'; to unveil the secret, Yukari Akiyama is sent to Anzio, where she discovers (thanks in part to Pepperoni's blunder) that the secret weapon is a Carro Armato P40.
For the match, Anzio fields one Carro Armato P26/40 (flag tank), three Semoventi da 75/18 and six Carri Veloci CV.33; their plan is to use wooden decoys to lure Ooarai towards a trap in the middle of the battlefield, and then surround and destroy the opponent from three directions. However, the plan goes awry (again thanks to Pepperoni's carelessness); the tankettes are spotted and followed by Duck Team, two Semoventi are led away by Rabbit team, while Anchovy's main force soon meets that of Ooarai. While Carpaccio's Semovente engages Hippo Team on a one-on-one duel, Anchovy is forced to run from Anglerfish and Turtle Teams. When she is informed that her tankettes have been almost annihilated, she orders everyone to converge to her position in an attempt to get Ooarai's flag tank; however, she soon finds herself being led into a trap too, with Turtle Team leading her right towards Anglerfish Team. As the other two remaining tanks are taken out, the P40 itself is taken out by Miho's Panzer IV, therefore giving the victory to Ooarai.
After the match, Anchovy displays her and her school's carefree attitude by providing a lavish party, and promising to support Ooarai in the following stages of the Tournament. However, on the day of the Finals, due in part to her insistence on getting there early, the whole school slept right through the match.
In the movie Der Film
After the news of Ooarai's decommission and the reincarnation match against Selection University team were spread out to the public. Dajeeling sent the telegraph message to every high schools' Senshado club about joining force to support Ooarai, Anchovy received Darjeeling's invitation too.
Before the match between Ooarai and University team, the high school Senshado clubs came to rendezvous with the Ooarai team. The Anzio side only brought a CV.33 tankette to join the match (in additional material, it is mentioned that the P40 was heavily damaged in an exchange program and therefore unavailable). All three members, Anchovy, Carpaccio and Pepperoni were squeezed into the same two-man tankette. The tank was initially part of Team Dandelion.
In the middle of battle, Anchovy, Turtle Team, Duck Team and Jaktsota formed the "Acorn Platoon". The platoon infiltrated behind enemy lines and worked together to disable the Karl Gerät 040. The first attack was conducted by Anzio's CV.33, Duck team threw CV.33 from Type 89's back to let them shoot at Karl's chamber. However, they failed because their machine guns are too weak for taking it out. CV.33 ended up flipped over on the bridge. Anzu request Anchovy to run the tracks for giving her Hetzer a boost to jump, Anchovy denied but Anzu said she will "make them a Dried Sweet Potato Pasta" for helping her, intrigued the Anzio team, then they speed up the tracks and boost the Hetzer up to the air to shoot at Karl's chamber. Thanks to Anzu's good precision and reflex, they were successfully put Karl Mortar out of operation in the end.
In the last phase of the battle in the theme park, Miho assigned Anchovy to recon role. They provided information of the opponents' movements for teammates from the top of the roller coaster rail. However, they were spotted by Rumi in the University team and chased along the tracks by M24 Chaffee tanks. Just as the CV.33 was cornered from both sides, Rabbit Team came to the rescue in their new role of "light tank killer", immobilising both Chaffees.
In the latter stages of the battle, Anzio linked up with Mallard Team to engage a Pershing holding the rearguard. Anzio used the small size of their tank to sneak into the Pershing's blind spot, prompting the Pershing's crew to attempt to crush them. Anzio then used the light weight and high speed of the Cv.33 to "skip" across the surface of a pool. The fast-moving (and much heavier) Pershing narrowly braked in time, but Mallard Team ambushed them from behind, sending them into the drink. Seconds later however, Anzio's tank was immobilised by a direct hit from Alice's Centurion.
MembersAnzio Girls High School has four characters of note.
- Main article: Anchovy
Her real name is Chiyomi Anzai. Her hometown's Toyota city, Aichi Prefecture. The overall commander of the Anzio Girls High School Sensha-dō Team, called by her team "Duce" ("commander" in Italian), possibly an allusion to the self-appointed title of Benito Mussolini , the Italian dictator. In the manga, she is arrogant and hot-blooded, but she only desires victory for her team. In the OVA, while still competitive, hot-blooded and a little bit too self-assured, she is much more relaxed and polite, as well as a graceful loser.
- Main article: Carpaccio
Her hometown's Tsukuba city, Ibaraki Prefecture. One of the vice-commanders of Anzio; she wasn't shown in the anime, but she has appeared in the manga and in the OVA. She is a quiet, kind girl loyal to her commander. She's also childhood friends with Caesar from Hippo team.
- Main article: Pepperoni
Her hometown's Mashiko town, Tochigi Prefecture. The other vice-commander of Anzio; she didn't appear in the anime or in the manga, but she appeared in the OVA. Extroverted and cheerful, she is the natural leader of the fast and nimble tankettes, but her carelesness sometimes can get her team into trouble. She affectionately refers to Anchovy as "big sis".
Pepperonie's CV.33 Driver, nicknamed "Siko" by fan because her way of responding to Pepperonie Command (Si = Yes in Italy).
- Carro Veloce CV.33
- M13/40 (only in the manga)
- Semovente da 75/18
- Carro Armato P26/40
- Carro Veloce CV.33 (with Solothurn S-18-1000)
- Fiat-SPA AS42 Sahariana
- Fiat-SPA Dovunque 41
- Fiat-SPA TM40
- Fiat-SPA TL37
- Lancia Aprilia Coloniale
- Fiat-SPA 38R
- Its name comes from the city of Anzio in Italy, site of a famous battle of the Italian Theater of World War II (which saw, however, relatively little participation of Italian troops on both sides).
- Its logo is a pizza with asparagus and brown olive toppings.
- Only the outcome of the match between Anzio and Ooarai is shown in the anime, which suggests that Ooarai defeated Anzio easily. However, in the manga adaptation, it is shown that the match was just about as intense as Ooarai's other matches. This was somewhat confirmed in the OVA, whose match was rather intense and not an easy victory for Ooarai.
- Despite being poor and having to use bad-to-mediocre tanks, Anzio still managed to proceed to the second round of the Tournament by defeating Maginot Girls' College, while the much better equipped Saunders Girls High School lost on the first turn.
- All the named members of Anzio have names related to Italian foods (or at least food with Italian origins).
- Keeping with the rather stereotypical set of the foreign-themed academies, the Anzio girls are depicted as rather carefree and food-loving (much to Anchovy's own displeasure), being capable however of making the most of their subpar equipment.
- Anzio's battle songs are Funculì, Funiculà, a famous Neapolitan song and Fiamme Nere, the battle march of the Italian Arditi military corps
- Their school ship is based on and named after the Aquila, a never completed aircraft carrier of the Italian Regia Marina in World War II.
- Anzio school is the only school that has once fought Ooarai but has never been shown in the opening; however, it was shown in the credits of the OVA.
- In the spin-off manga Ribbon Warrior, during a tankathlon match between Tatenashi High School and Anzio, it is mentioned that Anzio lost against Ooarai during the senshado tournament, thus proving the events of Ribbon Warrior happened before and during the anime.
- In the anime, Anzio is the only school to lose 100% of its tanks to Ooarai during their tournament match.
- According to supplementary material, many of Anzio's tanks are trapped in a state of disrepair, as the school lacks the funds to repair battle damage.
- This is cited as the reason for which Anzio did not bring its P26/40 when it joined the Ooarai Compound Team in the events of the film, instead squeezing three persons into a two-man tankette.
- All named members' birthdate are related to Italian facts during WWII.
- Anchovy: Creation of the Italian Social Republic.
- Carpaccio: Raid on Alexandria.
- Pepperoni: Liberation of Mussolini.
|Schools in Girls und Panzer|
|Schools in The Anime Series||Anzio Girls High School ♦ Kuromorimine Girls High School ♦ Ooarai Girls High School ♦ Pravda Girls High School ♦ Saunders Girls High School ♦ St. Gloriana Girls High School|
|Schools in Der Film||Chi-Ha-Tan Academy ♦ Jatkosota High School ♦ Selection University|
|Schools in The Mangas||BC Freedom High School ♦ Bellwall Academy ♦ Bonple High School ♦ Gilbert High School ♦ Maginot Girls' Academy ♦ Tategoto High School ♦ Tatenashi Girls High School ♦ West Kureoji Grona High School|
|Schools in Supplemental Material||Blue Division High School ♦ Count High School ♦ Gregor High School ♦ Koala Forest High School ♦ Maple High School ♦ Viggen High School ♦ Viking Fisheries High School ♦ Waffle Academy ♦ Yogurt Academy|