| Spoiler warning!|
This Wiki contains detailed information regarding the Girls und Panzer universe.
Proceed with Caution!
- "KV-2 is a pain isn't it?"
The KV-2, named after the Soviet defense commissar and politician Kliment Voroshilov (KV) (in Cyrillic Климе́нт Вороши́лов "KB") was a Soviet heavy tank armed with a 152 mm howitzer, intended for short range artillery support. In the anime, it was first seen during Episode 8.
In 1939, the KV-2 was developed as a variant to the KV-1 heavy tank after the Red Army found trouble dealing with fortifications in the Winter War. Designed with a massive turret in order to mount the 152 mm M-10 Howitzer on a basic KV chassis and protected by 75 mm frontal armor, it had an identical engine to the T-34. While it had impressive firepower (its howitzer was more than capable of knocking out all German tanks it initially faced, despite being impaired by the long reload time) and was well protected, its tall silhouette made it a conspicuous target. Its large size meant that its mobility was low, being unable to clear most bridges; moreover, its big turret was slow to turn. About 300 KV-2s were built from 1939 - 1941.
Despite shocking the German troops that met it, the KV-2 was regarded as a failure, because it never performed in its intended role of 'bunker-buster', and the highly mobile warfare that followed ill-suited its characteristics. When it was deployed, the lack of close support from other tanks, and the front line fighting role it was deployed in caused heavy losses, as despite the enormous power of its gun, the KV-2 lacked a rate of fire to match German tanks and was easily outmaneuvered. Therefore, its production was quickly discontinued.
In Girls Und PanzerPravda Girls High School has a KV-2, designated as a support tank.
During the semifinals against Ooarai Girls Academy, it was deployed in the village to ambush the Ooarai forces, but this failed when the Ooarai tanks moved into a large building for cover. After the surrender agreement suggested by Katyusha was rejected, the KV-2 was directly ordered by Katyusha again to move behind her flag tank to crush the enemy should they try to rush it. Much to her surprise, Ooarai recognized the danger and instead escaped by breaking through the main defensive line. It was then left behind in the village to protect the flag tank (T-34); however, when it engaged the Anglerfish Team's Panzer IV and Hippo Team's StuG III it missed the first shot and as it was reloading, the two tanks fired at its weak spots and disabled it.
- Main article: KV-2/Gallery
- KV-2 uses HE shells, as seen in the anime and the movie (AP shells wouldn't explode on impact).
- The crew of the KV-2 is made up of Pravda first year students.
- KV-2 has 2 loaders, Nina and Alina (The black powder charge and warhead are loaded separately).
- It has the second largest caliber gun (in a vehicle) in the series (152 mm), after the Karl-Gerät 040.
- In both the anime and movie, despite its powerful gun, it never got a chance to hit its target.
- As seen in the movie, the top heavy nature of the KV-2 means that it will tip over if the turret is turned quickly, or if the tank is tilted on an angle when it fires.
- The tank also appeared in another WWII themed anime, Brave Witches.
- KV-2 (Wikipedia)
- KV-2 at Military Factory
- KV-2 Specifications (WWIIVehicles)
- KV-2 at Tanks Encyclopedia
- KV-2 Official Anime Web (GirlsUndPanzer)
|Light Tanks and Tankettes||7TP • AMR-35 • BT-42 • Crusader • CV.33 • FT-17 • Harry Hopkins • M22 Locust • M24 Chaffee • Mark VI • Panzer II • Panzer 38(t) • R35 • T-60 • T-70 • Tetrarch • TK Tankette • Type 95 Ha-Go • Type 97 Te-Ke|
|Medium Tanks||Centurion • Panzer III • Panzer IV • Panzer V "Panther" • M3 Lee • M4 Sherman • M13/40 • Matilda II • P26/40 • SOMUA S35 • T-34 • T-44 • Type 89B • Type 3 Chi-Nu • Type 97 Chi-Ha|
|Heavy Tanks||ARL 44 • B1 Bis • Black Prince • Churchill • IS-2 • KV-2 • M26 Pershing • Mark IV • Panzer VI "Tiger" • Panzer VI Ausf. B "Tiger II" • Panzer VIII "Maus" • VK45.01 Porsche Tiger|
|Tank Destroyers||Elefant • Hetzer • ISU-152 • Jagdpanzer IV • Jagdpanther • Jagdtiger • Semovente da 75/18 • StuG III • T28 Super-Heavy Tank|
|Self-Propelled Artillery||Karl-Gerät 040|
|Main Battle Tank||Type 10|