Koala Forest High School (コアラの森学園) is one of the minor schools in Girls und Panzer and participated in the 63rd National High School Sensha-Dou Tournament.
History & Policy
While they have a very good relationship with St. Gloriana that started when they bought their school ship from them, there have been rumors that Koala Forest is currently attempting to create closer formal ties with Saunders, with more rumors stating that they are looking to move away from British-manufactured vehicles and replace them with American vehicles.
In general the students are open and friendly, and though it may not seem like it, their carefree and leisurely nature is simply their own way of getting things done. It seems that their first task when meeting new people is to befriend them and stand as equals. Koala students are also known to have barbecue party for absolutely no reason which tends to lure many friends from Saunders due to their friendliness and openness. As legendary their barbecue parties are, they are more famous for their Australian-style curry, with three different variants each day. They include everything from the ever-popular crab and white squid to leftovers from ten days ago but when someone breaks out the Vegemite it tends to scare non-Koala Forest students.
Due to lack of any traditional seniority hierarchy it is not uncommon to see students of different grades being close friends which can cause 1st years students problem to understand this. The only reason of why the Captain and Vice-Captain position seems to exist because is Coordination as all tankers are encouraged to come up with their own plans and maneuvers, and all can comment on equal footing.
Their main force consists of the Matilda II Infantry Tank, the M3 Light Tank, the M3 Medium Tank, and various other vehicles such as the domestic AC.I Sentinel or the rarest AC.III Thunderbolt, a tank armed with a 25 Pounder gun, it is not known how practical or even usable this vehicle is and because of its rare appearance on the field seems to suggest that Koala Forest is struggling to keep it running, most likely due to its unique prototype nature.
They also have some experience with various Italian tanks, but they have all been sold cheaply to Anzio.
Koala's students just like Anzio are extremely skilled in a desert environment.
Their default tactic is a fast charge (like a cavalry charge). This usually does not net them a victory against stronger opponents, however their morale against inferior, equal, or slightly superior opponents usually nets them a victory but if this tactic doesn't work their morale is quickly depleted, which means an upcoming defeat. Despite this attitude they incredibly tenacious and morale depletion usually only happens against incredibly strong opponents and even then only during the later stages of an attrition battle.
When they are not charging the enemy, they are usually putting a wild new tactic into play, as they are very willing to try new things. It seems that these plans either succeed dramatically or fail dramatically.
Koala's schoolship design is based on the Invincible-class aircraft carrier. Koala bought it's schoolship from St. Gloriana.
As no Koala student is ever seen, no visual of their uniform is available.
Koala Forest High School hasn't any students of note.
- Infantry Tank Mk.II Matilda II
- M3 Grant
- M3 Stuart
- Australian Cruiser Tank Mk.I "Sentinel" (AC.I Sentinel)
- Australian Cruiser Tank Mk.III "Thunderbolt" (AC.III Thunderbolt)
In Girls und Panzer
The school is mentioned only in a screen where the tournament's array is revealed as Viking Fisheries High School's first opponents.
Gekkan Senshado Magazine
It is revealed that they fielded against Viking two Matildas, two M3 Grant, two Sentinel AC.I and four M3 Stuart. Koala lose it's match as Viking Fisheries was defeated by Pravda in quarter-finals.
- Their emblem (and their name) is a Koala head with two Commonwealth Star at it's side and five eucalyptus leaves beyond.
- The koala is an animal that only live in Australia and become with time with the Kangaroo a symbol of Australia.
- The Commonwealth Star is a seven-pointed star symbolising the Federation of Australia which came into force on 1 January 1901 (Six points of the Star represent the six original states of the Commonwealth of Australia, while the seventh point represents the territories and any other future states of Australia) and is one of the distinguishing characteristics of the Australian flag.
- The Eucalyptus is a native plant from Australia that dominate around 95% of Australian forests.
- Their nearly non-existent hierarchy is a reference that in 1770 British explorers William Dampier and James Cook established a penal colony in Australia.
- The fact that St. Gloriana sold a schoolship to Australia is a nod to the 1981 Defence White Paper where United Kingdom in view to reduce expenditure due to the early 1980s recession and support her NATO allies. The Royal Navy sold the HMS Invincible to Australia.